The country of Tunisia offers world-class sites, accommodations, and excursions that are often left unseen by even the most seasoned travelers. Since the ‘Arab Spring’ many travelers are looking to explore other regions due to security fears. Although the country is still in transition, Tunisia is still seeing thousands of travelers coming to experience this incredible country and relax at the numerous coastal resorts. One thing that visitors often miss in Tunisia is the fantastic historical and cultural sites located across the country. Tunisia should not only be visited for its amazing beaches, but for the archaeological, historical, and cultural sites that are waiting for you to explore. Below are 5 reasons to take a custom tour around Tunisia on your next adventure:
1. The Real Tunisia: Although many of the beach hotels and resorts offer cultural experiences many of them are staged for tourists. If you want to see the ‘real’ Tunisia then it is best to go out and explore the ancient medina’s, taste Tunisian foods in a local restaurant, and hear tales of the past from desert guides as you ride a camel over the dunes.
2. Historic sites: Visit the breath-taking El Jem Roman amphitheater, which is arguably the best-preserved Roman amphitheater in the world. Go explore the UNESCO World heritage sites of Dougga, or climb up the mountainside village of Chenini. Many of these places can be explored without encountering large tour groups.
3. Unique accommodations: Stay in luxurious or 3* accommodations across Tunisia that allow you to encounter the wonderful culture and customs of the country. In Matmata, you can stay in a troglodyte home (cave-like home), spend the night in an Oasis hotel in Tozeur, or enjoy traditional Djerbese culture in a Djerba home.
4. Unforgettable Excursions: Make memories as you climb mountains in southern Tunisia, or ride a camel in the Sahara desert, or snorkel in northern Tunisia. If you love adventure then come experience Tunisia.
5. Great Hospitality: Most Tunisians are incredibly hospitable and generous. While traveling enjoy a cup of tea or sit down to a bowl of couscous while hearing about life in Tunisia.
If you wish to plan your custom tour to Tunisia, please contact our travel experts at Mosaic North Africa.