Traditional Algerian cuisine includes a mix of various influences from Berber, Arab, Turkish, and French tastes. Algerians usually include the following ingredients in their cooking: tomatoes, olives, peppers, eggplant, lentils, oranges and lemons in lamb, chicken and fish. Below are ingredients to make a simple Algerian salad.
- 2 sweet red peppers, chopped fine
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 3/4 cup sliced cucumber
- 2 small onions, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- 6 anchovy slices, chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil or cilantro
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients into a large salad bowl and toss gently.
- May be served with pita bread.