Tozeur is a large and beautiful oasis with thousands of palm trees, fig trees, pomegranate trees, and banana groves. Tozeur is well known for growing the best dates in all of Tunisia, which are exported around the world. Historically, Tozeur was an important stopping point for caravans crossing the Sahara desert.
One of the distinctive highlights of this city is its unique architecture. The architecture in this city is renown for its use of brickwork in creating beautiful geometric designs within the buildings and streets especially within the old medina.
What to Do in Tozeur?
There are numerous activities to enjoy in Tozeur including:
- Visit the palm museum to learn about the history and cultivation of palm trees.
- Enjoy a horse carriage ride through the town and the old medina.
- Take a stroll through the old medina.
- Visit a zoo featuring many animals from the Sahara regions and sub-Saharan Africa. This could be a fun family activity.
- Walk through the Chak Wak Park to see life-size sculptures and a variety of paintings and designs to give you an educational tour about evolution, history and religion.
- Have fun zip lining or tree trekking through a grove of palm trees at the Sahara Lounge.
- Relax in the “hamman” which is similar to a Turkish bath.
- Eat a traditional Tunisian meal including couscous and lamb. Several restaurants will even serve camel meat.
International Festival of Oasis
During December each year, the International Festival of Oasis is held in the town of Tozeur. Tunisians and international visitors come to this popular festival to enjoy dancing, playing of music, camel racing, storytelling, and other fun activities.
Want to Visit Tozeur?
Tozeur has its own airport, the Nefta International Airport, making it easily accessible to visit via flight.
If you are interested in visiting Tozeur, our travel experts are happy to assist you to plan an unforgettable Tunisia tour.